Monday, October 2, 2017

Period 9/10 Blog #4

The week of October 4-8 is designated as the Week of Respect in New Jersey to recognize the importance of character education and a positive school climate


Your assignment this week is to copy and paste the following quotations into ascending numerical sequence with one line of space between the quotations (#1-#20) and respond to the following 5 questions:


1. What do you do to show respect?
2. Can you think of a time when you failed to do this?
3. How might someone show a lack of respect for himself/herself?
4. Can you think of someone who stands out by consistently demonstrating
disrespectful behavior? What effect does this have on his/her life?
5. Can you think of someone who stands out by consistently demonstrating
respectful behavior? What effect does this have on his/her life?


6. No one is happy unless he respects himself. - Jean Jacques Rousseau
11. If I trim myself to suit others I will soon whittle myself away. - Anonymous
7. Form a good opinion of yourself and then deserve the good opinion of others. - Anonymous
14. Neither we, nor any other people, will ever be respected till we respect ourselves and we will never respect ourselves till we have the means to live respectfully. - Frederick Douglass
9. Through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing. - Agatha Christie
2. If I am not for myself, who then will be for me? If I am only for myself, what am I? - The Talmud
13. If you want to be respected by others, the great thing is to respect yourself. - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
1. El respecto al derecho ajeno es la paz. Respect for the rights of another, that is peace. – Mexican-American Proverb
5. We must all learn to live together as brothers. Or we will all perish as fools. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
15. Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother which is the first commandment with a promise. – BIBLE, Ephesians 6:1-2
19. Honor all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king. – BIBLE, I Peter 2:17.
18. While we are thus unconstrained in our private intercourse, a spirit of reverence pervades our public acts; we are prevented from doing wrong by respect for authority and for the laws, having an especial regard to those which are ordained for the protection of the injured as well as to those unwritten laws which bring upon the transgressor of them the reprobation of the general sentiment. - IBID Book II, 35, Funeral Speech of Pericles.
8. For those who are always courteous and respectful of elders, four things increase: life, beauty, happiness, and strength. - Buddha, The Dhammapada
17. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies. (The American’s Creed) - William Tyler Page [1868-1942]
20. When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth the separate and equal station to which entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel truths to be self-evident. - Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776
12. If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. It is true that you may fool all the people some of the time you can even fool some of the people all the time; but you can’t fool all of the people all the time. (To a caller at the White House) - In Alexander K. McClure: Lincoln’s Yarns and Stories [1904], page 124
16. Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments. – BIBLE, Psalm 119:6
4. He who walks in another’s tracks leaves no footprints. - Joan L. Brannon
3. Every action in company ought to be with some sign of respect to those present. - Rules of Civility

10 comments:

  1. What I do to show respect is say, “please and Thank you”. I do it everyday, it is the right th9ng to do. Also I show sportsmanship in sports. A lot of other people are cocky, but I am not. I do the right thing. I might have done this in my life once and so did everyone else. I can’t think of a time when I haven't though. I usually don’t do the wrong thing. There are many ways that somebody can show a lack of respect. People don’t use their manners. People also don’t clean up after themselves. Things like that. Also they could just be rude and mean. Sometimes my friend shows lack of respect. When I am mad, he usually just makes jokes out of it. Also, when I tell him to stop, he says, “no”. The effect that it has on his life is that he could be a rude person a lot. My favorite football player is David Wright. He shows respect every time he plays. He is respectful to somebody if they mess up. Also he is not cocky. If they win, he just high fives his teammates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) What you do to show respect is you be nice and generous to people. If you're mean to them, you're disrespecting them and not respecting them. To show respect you could say please and thank you. If someone sneezes you say bless you. That is an act of respect.
    2)The time you could fail this is if you and someone else are fighting. When you're fighting with someone none of you are showing respect you say things that you might not mean or say something to hurt one another. If or when you're fighting with someone, you might wanna forgive them and become friends again.
    3) Someone can lack respect for themselves if they aren't happy by the way they look or if they think they are ugly. You lack respect if you call yourself ugly and if you hurt yourself. Everyone should love themselves for the way they are and shouldn't change for anyone.
    4) The person that i know that always does bad things is my old friend. He's always getting in trouble, fighting with someone, stealing, tagging, etc. He's hurting himself because he wants to be a police officer and he's not gonna be one because of all the bad stuff he does. He does it to impress his friends and it's not making him look good. This is why i don't chill with him anymore.
    5) My mother is always doing something right. She is just so respectful to everyone. She always says please and thank you and have taught all her kids good manners and how to respect. She is my role model. I always think of her as a role model. She has impacted my life so much and i love her for making me the person that i am today

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hunter Reyes
    Period 9/10
    10/1/17

    What I do too show respect is I when I see a Veteran in the army I will always salute them and say, ”Thank you ma’am/sir for your service.I will also hold the door for the elder and other people.The last thing I do is I help people with walking their dogs without charge.
    I accidentally forgot say thank you for letting me stay over.it took me the whole day too realize it but, i remembered what I had done wrong.I felt really bad when I came home and then the next day I said thank you.
    There are many ways to show lack of respect for your self.One of them is bad hygiene.Another is not making sure you are eating correctly
    I have seen it a lot even at this scho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i do the same thing hunter and that is very sweet and very respectful to always treat people with the respect that we would want someone to treat us and expecially Veterans that take there lives trying to serve for our country is very brave and VERY kind.

      Delete
  4. I show respect by not disrespecting what they want so i always support them even if i don't like their decision. I also show respect by not talking bad about them or breaking there things when it's left at my house.
    A time i have failed to do this was when i was talking while someone else was talking. Also a time i failed this is by going on my phone while the teacher is talking
    They might show lack of respect to themselves by not caring about what they look like. Also it could be if they don't take good care of themselves and not care what they do in life meaning like they don't care what bad things they do.
    I can think of someone who consistently demonstrating disrespectful behavior. This effect that can happen is them not getting good grades because they keep getting kicked out of class and not having the work., they also can have it affect them because if they do get kicked out they don't learn the same amount everyone else does because they don't have as much to time go over it and get it explained to the them. Also with that them always failing can causes getting held back or not being able to be in college.
    I know a couple people that consistently demonstrate respectful behavior. The way it affects their life is that they get more chances . they get reward for their behavior. They will get a good education by it and succeed in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. What do you do to show respect?
    I show respect by treating people the way I would like to be treated. If everybody were to do this I also try to consider other people’s feelings when talking with them. You have to put yourself in their shoes and try to understand how they feel.
    2. Can you think of a time when you failed to do this?
    I failed to do this when I cursed out my dad. He was going through something and I disregarded his feelings. I’ve apologized so many times because I felt so bad after the whole situation.
    3. How might someone show lack of respect for himself/herself?
    They would show it if they didn’t like someone or their beliefs. Also if someone is not showing you respect why would you bother to show any respect to them. I would also not show someone respect if I believe they don’t deserve it.
    4. Can you think of someone who stands out by consistently demonstrating disrespectful behavior? What effect does this have on his/her life?
    My cousin shows a lot of disrespect to everyone. He sometimes curses them off or doesn’t what he is asked to do. The effect that I see is that nobody really hangs out with him or talks to him. So basically since he doesn’t show respect to anyone, no one associates themselves with him.
    5. Can you think of someone who stands out by consistently demonstrating respectful behavior? What effect does this have on his/her life?
    Someone who shows respect consistently is my father. No matter what, even if someone is screaming at him he will conduct himself in a civil matter and be respectful towards him. Through this he is very respected. If anyone has a problem they usually go to him for guidance. So since he is respectful consistently he is treated for the most part well, has a happy life, and is very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. what i do to show respect is that i say a lot but the main thing i always say is "Please and Thank you" because i just find it rude for someone to ask for something without saying please or somebody giving you a gift and you not saying thank you. i also show respect by being nice to people and showing them respect on how i would like to be talked to by someone.
    2. yes there was a time when i failed this was when i was really mad at my sister and was taking it out on my brother and being disrespectful to my mom. But i no that it is wrong and you should always be respectful no matter what.
    3. i sometimes show lack of respect when someone doesn't do it back to me or when i hold the door for someone and they just let the other door hit me and don't even say thank you that's when i show lack of respect to that person.
    4. yes i can when someone is always being disrespectful and misbehaving all the time that is how you know they have no respect in anything or anyone. This happened to my cousin, she was so kind to everybody but than she started to hang out with the wrong people and started coping them and how they do not show respect and she started losing her friends because of that.
    5. The one who always shows respectful behavior all the time is my parents my mom never gets into a fight and is always kind to everyone and doesn't care what people have to say and my dad is respectful too and always shows us to be that too because for one it is just nice to and u wont lose your friends by being disrespectful and being rude.
    I just think that everyone will get through life by being respectful and always keeping it cool with people. No body should ever be rude or anything to anyone. Your siblings don't count because everybody always fights with there brother/sister here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To show respect I am nice to others. I am kind and with help other people with things such as holding the door.
    A time I failed to do this is when I called somebody I bad name that showed that I didn’t respect them.
    A person might show a lack of respect from themselves by thinking they are dumb.
    People that bully other people it’s des respectful behavior. It has an affect on my life because I don’t want to see anybody get hurt or cry.
    My sister shows respect behavior by teaching me to do the right things to do it life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can show respect by doing nice things to people. I can also treat other people how i want to be treated. Such as giving a pencil when they need it to write notes.
        The time that I failed to respect someone or respect in general was when i was young and I didn't open the door for anyone. Also sometimes i don't look at people in the eye when i talk to them. Other than those two i can't think of any other times.
        People might show lack of respect for themselves by not accepting who they are or how they look. Sometimes they need to have the right mindset. Having a positive attitude is also something people might show.
        Some people in this school stand out everyday with disrespectful behavior. This can affect their life with becoming a bully or being rude to other people. It also can affect the other person by not being confident or they will follow in their footstep and become the bully.
        My mom is always in a respectful behavior everywhere she goes. It doesn't matter who it can be she will respect you if you respect you. It affects her life by being a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I show respect by being polite and showing appreciation of the things I am given.
    I've failed to do this many of times. One of them being when I'm angry and just shut everyone out.
    I think that people might show lack of respect by not having self-confidence and always putting themselves down.
    There is a kid in my neighborhood that picks on all the little kids and to me that is demonstrating disrespectful behavior. I've noticed that he gets into a lot of trouble and doesn't listen to his parents.
    Someone who stands out by consistently demonstrating respectful behavior is my friend Nick he helps everyone out. This affects him positively because he gets along with his parents.

    ReplyDelete