Monday, October 23, 2017

Period 9/10 Blog #7

Your comment post should be at least 280 words this week due Thursday by 11:59 pm and you will be responsible for responding (respectfully) to one of your classmates in at least a one paragraph reply entries by Sunday at 11:59 pm.
Have you ever faced a challenge in your life? Did you overcome it? What was the whole experience like? What did you feel during and after your struggle?
In “Is a Life Without Struggle Worth Living?” Adam Etinson writes:
In the autumn of 1826, the English philosopher John Stuart Mill suffered a nervous breakdown — a “crisis” in his “mental history,” as he called it.
Since the age of 15, Mill had been caught firmly under the intellectual spell of his father’s close friend, Have you ever faced a challenge in your life? Did you overcome it? What was the whole experience like? What did you feel during and after your struggle?
In “Is a Life Without Struggle Worth Living?” Adam Etinson writes:
In the autumn of 1826, the English philosopher John Stuart Mill suffered a nervous breakdown — a “crisis” in his “mental history,” as he called it.
Since the age of 15, Mill had been caught firmly under the intellectual spell of his father’s close friend, Jeremy Bentham. Bentham was a proponent of the principle of utility — the idea that all human action should aim to promote the greatest happiness of the greatest number. And Mill devoted much of his youthful energies to the advancement of this principle: by founding the Utilitarian Society (a fringe group of fewer than 10 members), publishing articles in popular reviews and editing Bentham’s laborious manuscripts.
Utilitarianism, Mill thought, called for various social reforms: improvements in gender relations, working wages, the greater protection of free speech and a substantial broadening of the British electorate (including women’s suffrage).
There was much work to be done, but Mill was accustomed to hard work. As a child, his father placed him on a highly regimented home schooling regime. Between the ages of 8 and 12, he read all of Herodotus, Homer, Xenophon, six Platonic dialogues (in Greek), Virgil and Ovid (in Latin), and kept on reading with increasing intensity, as well as learning physics, chemistry, astronomy, and mathematics, while tutoring his younger sisters. Holidays were not permitted, “lest the habit of work should be broken, and a taste for idleness acquired.”
Not surprisingly, one of the more commonly accepted explanations of Mill’s breakdown at the age of 20, is that it was caused by cumulative mental exhaustion. But Mill himself understood it differently. In his autobiography, he wrote:
I was in a dull state of nerves, such as everybody is occasionally liable to: unsusceptible to enjoyment or pleasurable excitement; one of those moods when what is pleasure at other times, becomes insipid or indifferent… In this frame of mind it occurred to me to put the question directly to myself, ‘Suppose that all your objects in life were realized; that all the changes in institutions and opinions which you are looking forward to, could be completely effected at this very instant: would this be a great joy and happiness to you?’ And an irrepressible self-consciousness distinctly answered, ‘No!’ At this my heart sank within me: the whole foundation on which my life was constructed fell down. All my happiness was to have been found in the continual pursuit of this end. The end had ceased to charm, and how could there ever again be any interest in the means? I seemed to have nothing left to live for.
In the wake of this episode, Mill slipped into a six-month-long depression.
Students: Read the entire article, then tell us:
— In your opinion, is struggle essential to happiness? Have you ever experienced happiness from struggle in your own life?
— Mr. Etinson writes, “Some part of us prefers to struggle or quest after an ideal, rather than attain it.” Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
— From where do you draw happiness? From striving toward some future goal? From peaceful moments of quiet contemplation? From anything else?
— Mill suggests that all human beings are capable of finding joy in peace and normalcy. Do you think this is true? If so, how do you think people can learn to enjoy the quieter moments of life? If not, why not?
-If so, how do you think people can learn to enjoy the quieter moments of life? If not, why not??

14 comments:


  1. In my opinion you don’t need to struggle for happiness. Some people might think different though.. Some people might find it hard to be happy or find something or someone that makes them happy. I personally have not struggled to find happiness. If i want to be happy i usually do things i like or be around people that makes everything better.


    I do not agree with that quote because people think that to be happy you have to work for it or struggle to get it. I’m happy without struggling, if i'm happy by myself with no one then everyone should feel the same way because it's not that hard to be happy. Everyone is their own person, if they want to struggle to get happiness then so be it, but it's not worth it. No one should struggle to be happy, i guess you can say happiness comes naturally.


    I draw happiness caring about others. No matter one's creed, origin or standing , we are all taught that being happy is a huge impact on human life. You have to focus on the positive. Everything in life has both positive and negative, but sometimes you have to forget about the negative and worry about the positive. Just live in the moment and what you want in life. Focus on the good traits and not the bad. Love, laugh, and appreciate the things u have.


    Of course i agree with this. Everyone is capable of finding happiness, but for some people its hard. Have you ever wondered what the world would be like if everyone was happy? We will never know because people cause people stay to not be happy and stay on the low.


    People can enjoy moments by going out with friends and making memories. Everyone is capable of doing something. Everyone should go out and do the things they always wanted.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Niko. Everyone is capable of finding happiness. Even if you don't think you are, you are. It probably has happened already. This is a good blog.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you. No matter what you’re going through you can find happiness in the littlest things.

      Delete
  2. In my opinion yes, struggle is essential to happiness. I think this because everybody has highs or lows and good or bad days. If you truly have never experienced unhappiness, that one bad day, then do you even know what true happiness is or what it feels like?
    No, i have never experienced happiness from a struggle in my life. Struggles aren’t supposed to make you happy they’re like little things there to annoy you or test your strength. But once you get through it you’ll be just fine.
    Yes, i agree with this statement. Some people set goals for themselves but never end up reaching their goal because they are satisfied with himself just by setting the goal. But what they don't realize is that if you’re setting a goal the point is to reach it and then that's when you can be satisfied with what you’ve done.
    I draw my happiness from getting things done. The feeling you get when there is nothing that needs to be done at the moment in time is like a weight being lifted off of your shoulder and you feel stress free.
    Yes, i feel as though every human is capable of finding joy. I think that people can learn to find joy by just taking a second to step back and look at everything they’ve done. If people would just learn how to slow down and enjoy every moment they would have no choice but to be happy. People who constantly complain about every little thing are not happy because they choose to find the worst in everything. Like i said before if they step back and appreciate themselves and other humans around them there is no doubt in my mind that they will find themselves being happy and wouldn’t even know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion, I think struggle is essential to happiness. Not all struggle though, only some struggle. What if you're playing a baseball game and you are losing 12-0? Then you come back and win 13-12. Your whole team would be happy and so would the people watching. Also, you could have struggled to come back. Also, it could happen in video games and other things to. I have experienced a lot of struggle in my life. Like getting crushed in a baseball game then coming back and winning. It feels good after the game is over, but not during the game. I agree with Einstein’s statement because he said struggle is linked to happiness. That is what I have been trying to state this whole statement. Never get mad if you struggle because it will always end up being a good struggle. Learn it from me. I draw my happiness trying to reach my lifetime goal. I want to be in MLB and I practice everyday. You need to put effort into making your goal then just wishing that you make it. Same thing goes with college. If you want to make it to college, you need great grades. I agree with Mill’s statement because everybody has found joy in their life at some point. Everybody should be very happy with being born and living in a great country. I am very happy to be here. Everybody should start trying to be more happy. You only get one life on this planet. Use it wisely. Don’t get into trouble and don’t be sad or mad all the time. Ignore that stuff stuff and bring in the happiness. Be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree with u dillon, if youre loosinf 12-0, you are capable of coming back and winning 13-12, aslong as you can believe in yourself anything is possible. and after you make that comeback you will find your self in a state where your happy

      Delete
  4. Yes I have faced a challenge In my life but it wasn't just me it was my whole family. My mom was struggling with her job because of the pain she was going through and with my dad leaving us for 13 years it was a hard time with money and all.
    Our mom of course got a better job taking care of elder lees and my mom was saving more and more money up and by that time me and my sister and I had a job and were helping out my mom. I was scared at first but I knew my mom would make everything better.
    After living in my house for 14 years that was very small and not enough room at all this year we moved on the water into a much bigger house. Never give up on your self always push and believe no matter how many times u fall always push your self back up. Like what my family did it was rough but we managed to fight and make sure we all get what we need.
    During this struggle I felt scared but new everything will be okay and now we are all doing great and keeping up with everything and doing good in school. Always believe and never let anything get in the way .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel that struggle is an essential thing if you want to achieve happiness. You must go through tough times before you can live through the good times. Nothing comes easy out of life, and if something does then what's the point. You can’t just get from point A to point B. In between those points there is going to be struggle. For example let's say that you are trying to run a 5:30 mile. If you are running a 6:45 mile time you are going to have to put in a lot of work. You have to push yourself to go faster. If there's no struggle there's no progress. I have experienced happiness through struggle. I went from running a 7:30 mile to running a 6:30 mile. When I ran that time I was very pleased by myself and it took a lot of work to achieve that, but it was very worth it.
    I agree with what Mr. Etinson says. If you continue to work you can only get better. If you are struggling everyday that’s good because that means you are pushing yourself even harder everyday to better yourself. I believe everyone has that inside them. I think everyone would like to get better at something and if you are struggling that means you are working towards something very hard.
    I draw happiness through doing good things for people and being an honest and being a friendly person. Doing good things makes me feel really good about myself and it’s great knowing that I did something kind.
    I think that he is correct with that statement because if you have peace you are not stressed and I think that no one is joyful when they are stressed. I also think that living a normal life can help with this. People can enjoy the quick moments in life by taking it in and enjoying every second during the time. Be involved and make a lot of memories. You need to not focus on the time, but focus on what you do with that time. I feel that quieter moments in life are the best because you can take in everything without distractions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that is an essential thing if you want to achieve happiness. You have to work hard to get things. To think that you made that mile in 6:30 a minute less than your other time that's awesome. You are a great example of working hard to achieve your goals and happiness. I hope you can get an even better time in the future.

      Delete
  6. I feel that struggle is happiness. In order to be happy you will struggle along the way. Happiness isn’t something that is just given to you. When i am doing something i love it is a struggle because i want my happiness to be last. I disagree with the statement because not everyone wants to struggle. If you could be able to be happy without working to push yourself to get to that point they everyone would love that. Many people rather attain happiness the struggle for happiness. My happiness is in what i love and who i have in my love. I’m always happy when i'm playing basketball. I am also always happy when i am with the people i love. When i make a goal that makes me happy because i know i am going to work hard to try and achieve that goal. And once i achieve it there's no way i wouldn't be happy. Everyone is capable of feeling happy. Yes there will be bad days but others days are the good days. People can learn how to be happy if they were to just believe in themselves. If they were to not care about what anyone says but themselves then they should be able to be happy. If there was no bullying in thee world kids would be able to feel happiness. If kids weren’t pressured to work as much as they can many kids wouldn't feel stressed anymore and they'd be able to be happy. They wouldn't have to constantly worry that they are failing or that they didn't do homework and all the stress would be gone if we didn't have that in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with what you said Marvin. You made some solid points. You obviously have experience with this topic. I enjoyed your take on this topic and look forward to hearing you discuss more topics in the future. I think we should all have a happy positive attitude.

      Delete
  7. In my opinion struggle is not an essential to happiness but there's always struggle. You should be happy without struggle but struggle kinda comes along with everything. Some Things that will make you happy you might need to go through stuff to get it. I agree with when mr. Etinson writes, “Some part of us prefers to struggle or quest after an ideal, rather than attain it.” because some people say they wanna be happy but then they just don't do anything to prove that. They sit and suffer rather than go and make them self happy. I usually draw my happiness from being around people that i like and people that make me happy. Or when i'm watching a movie in a big hoodie and food. I think that people can learn how to enjoy the quieter moments in life. I think that they can because sometimes it's good to have some times to yourself and if you can see that then you can enjoy quiet moments in life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everything that Zachery said. You struggle to find happiness. You have to work for what you believe in and what you want. Not everyone is just given happiness and that’s what i believe. Everything you said is how i feel and it’s honest. When i want something i constantly work for it. Everyone needs to be pushed to do something great and that’s what i do for myself.

    ReplyDelete