Monday, March 7, 2016

Period 9/10 Blog #16

Your comment post should be at least 350 words this week due Thursday by 11:59 pm (worth 70 points) and you will be responsible for responding (respectfully) to one of your classmates in at least a one paragraph reply entries by Sunday at 11:59 pm (worth 30 points).
Is Social Media Making Us More Narcissistic?

 FEBRUARY 24, 2016 5:08 AM February 24, 2016 5:08 am 


Are social media like Facebook turning us into narcissists?  The Times online feature Room for Debate invites knowledgeable outside contributors to discuss questions like this one as well as news events and other timely issues. Related ArticleCredit Dado Ruvic/Reuters
.
Do you spend too much time trying to be attractive and interesting to others? Are you just a little too in love with your own Instagram feed?
An essay addressing those questions was chosen by two of our Student Councilmembers this week. Angie Shen explains why she thinks it’s important:
As the generation who grew up with social media, a reflection on narcissism is of critical importance to teenagers. What are the psychological and ethical implications of constant engagement with or obsession over social media? How does it change our relationship with others and how we see ourselves?
My teenage son recently informed me that there is an Internet quiz to test oneself for narcissism. His friend had just taken it. “How did it turn out?” I asked. “He says he did great!” my son responded. “He got the maximum score!”
When I was a child, no one outside the mental health profession talked about narcissism; people were more concerned with inadequate self-esteem, which at the time was believed to lurk behind nearly every difficulty. Like so many excesses of the 1970s, the self-love cult spun out of control and is now rampaging through our culture like Godzilla through Tokyo.
A 2010 study in the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science found that the percentage of college students exhibiting narcissistic personality traits, based on their scores on the Narcissistic Personality Inventory, a widely used diagnostic test, has increased by more than half since the early 1980s, to 30 percent. In their book “Narcissism Epidemic,” the psychology professors Jean M. Twenge and W. Keith Campbell show that narcissism has increased as quickly as obesity has since the 1980s. Even our egos are getting fat.
It has even infected our political debate. Donald Trump? “Remarkably narcissistic,” the developmental psychologist Howard Gardner told Vanity Fair magazine. I can’t say whether Mr. Trump is or isn’t a narcissist. But I do dispute the assertion that if he is, it is somehow remarkable.
This is a costly problem. While full-blown narcissists often report high levels of personal satisfaction, they create havoc and misery around them. There is overwhelming evidence linking narcissism with lower honesty and raised aggression. It’s notable for Valentine’s Day that narcissists struggle to stay committed to romantic partners, in no small part because they consider themselves superior.
The full-blown narcissist might reply, “So what?” But narcissism isn’t an either-or characteristic. It’s more of a set of progressive symptoms (like alcoholism) than an identifiable state (like diabetes). Millions of Americans exhibit symptoms, but still have a conscience and a hunger for moral improvement. At the very least, they really don’t want to be terrible people.
Students: Read the entire article, then tell us …
— Do you recognize yourself or your friends or family in any of the descriptions in this article? Are you sometimes too fixated on collecting “likes” and thinking about how others see you?
— What’s the line between “healthy self-love” that “requires being fully alive at this moment, as opposed to being virtually alive while wondering what others think,” and unhealthy narcissism? How can you stay on the healthy side of the line?
— Did you take the test? What did it tell you about yourself?
Henry Xu, another Student Council member who recommended this article, suggests these questions:
— What about Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat and other social media feeds makes them so hard to put down?
— Do you think this writer’s proposal of a “social media fast” is a viable way to combat narcissism?
— For those who aren’t as attached to social media, do challenges from an overinflated sense of self still arise? If so, from where?

— If everyone is becoming more narcissistic, does that make narcissism necessarily a bad thing?

15 comments:

  1. Well, I believe that no one in my house is in love with themselves. The only thing that I could relate to is possibly looking good but not being obsessed with loving my self. Yes, I enjoy seeing how i look in specific cloths to make sure i don't look bad and i definitely don't think that i have any love for my own self being more, that my love for a girlfriend/ valentine. I see my self just like most other people i say yes i enjoy doing things like looking good but i would rather spend time with a valentine than my self. Although, i do like being in quiet surroundings so, i don't get bothered by other people but that is just a personal preference. Healthy self-love would be like loving your thoughts, or being okay with what you think and not contradicting yourself so you can have a clear mind set. Anyone who lives themselves sexually or are weird with themselves then i mean that's just odd but i am not one to judge so i don't know. Honestly it isn't difficult for me to take down an instagram post or any type of social media i mean if no one really likes it then i don't care but like if you are going to bother me about how i look that's okay you just think different from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree with what you said. It was really good. And I like what you said about quiet surrondings

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do recognize people in the descriptions of the article. I enjoy seeing how i look in specific cloths to make sure i don't look bad and i definitely don't think that i have any love for my own self being more. The line between “healthy self-love” that “requires being fully alive at this moment is when you care more about your followers than you do about your friends. You can stay on the healthy side by just not worrying about social media. But if you can do that at least go on social media for a little bit then the whole day.i didn't take the test because I don't need a test to tell me what I am. So I don't know what it says about me. I know that i don't have narcissistic so I am fine.What makes social media so hard to put down because everyone is on it. Since everyone is on social media they don't want to be left out of the loop so that's why people always go on it.Another reason why is that people want to keep up on what's happening in the world. That can be a good thing but it isn't when all people care about is how they look.I don't the writers proposal is going to help. I don't think that there is any way of going up against narcissism because it is everywhere and there is no way of helping people that have it.For people that are not attached to social media I do think that there is problem with that. Because they won't be informed like other people.So they won't to be able to talk much about a hot topic.If everyone is becoming more narcissistic I don't think that it is a bad thing because it is really not affacting people lives. Yeah, sure people care about social media then in real life but that's how it goes in this generation. I don't care if people are or aren't narcissistic because it doesn't affect me that much so it is all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rogelio, my man! great response I read every word, word through word and it was outstanding I love the effort you put in to you're responses! Great job dude.

      Delete
  4. I believe that Instagram does make people more vain then if there was no Instagram. Because of all the selfies and comments and likes and DM's. It makes you care more about what people say and think. And people care so much about likes that they take down pictures because they didn't get enough like and you really see thats its bad. and the whole deleting pictures because you don't get enough likes thing is super common,almost every one does it. So I do believe that social media makes people more narcissistic.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Most of the people in my life do show the changes from the description given. I being one of them has changed.I was always the kid doing the work and not cheating. That all changed in middle school. The line between “healthy self-love” can change how the person acts in 3 months. The person who you were best friends with can hate your guts.People judge others by there followers and like on photos. The person there can be totally different.Why would someone need a test to tell them something they could find out at a different time in their life.The reason social media is bad is that i can spread rumors or make a chain reaction to something. I for one is not that interested in other people's life but if i did get noisey that could get me in trouble. Social media is like a news station for a kid. I say this because it can allow people to stay in touch with the world. I for one don't know what he means about a “social media fast” so that would be difficult for me to comprehend. People attached to their phones a lot can be consider overinflated. I say this because it can lead to a little “mosquito” in your ear telling you something every single second.i believe this can be a bad thing because it can become too controlling around and no one will like that so it can lead to suicidal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you Nicky p. We had the same idea in both of our responses.Also I liked how you included the negatives in social media. Like how people are ending their lives at your end of your response.

      Delete
  6. I can see how people are in love with themselves. They are always taking selfies and posted them on facebook and instagram . They will take like five or more a day. some one in my family loves to post something and get excited about how many people like their posts. The more likes or views the better.The line “healthy self-love” that “requires being fully alive at this moment, as opposed to being virtually alive while wondering what others think,” means that instead of worrying about the social media like facebook and worrying about how many likes your posts got or afraid you missed something someone posted, you should live in the moment with friends who are right in front of you. Enjoy life. You can stay off the unhealthy trail by limiting your time on the computer or phone. I did not take the test. I don't think a test will prove anything. I think that social networks like facebook or twitter give people a sense of knowledge and entertainment. They can get insights on their friends daily. They can see what they are doing or how they are feeling. People love to see what people think of their photos or posts. Me personally could care less about facebook or instagram. You are lucky if I even posts 1 thing a month. Narcissism is good and bad. It's good because it could give them self confidence. It's bad because it can do the complete opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see how people are in love with themselves. They are always taking selfies and posted them on facebook and instagram . They will take like five or more a day. some one in my family loves to post something and get excited about how many people like their posts. The more likes or views the better.The line “healthy self-love” that “requires being fully alive at this moment, as opposed to being virtually alive while wondering what others think,” means that instead of worrying about the social media like facebook and worrying about how many likes your posts got or afraid you missed something someone posted, you should live in the moment with friends who are right in front of you. Enjoy life. You can stay off the unhealthy trail by limiting your time on the computer or phone. I did not take the test. I don't think a test will prove anything. I think that social networks like facebook or twitter give people a sense of knowledge and entertainment. They can get insights on their friends daily. They can see what they are doing or how they are feeling. People love to see what people think of their photos or posts. Me personally could care less about facebook or instagram. You are lucky if I even posts 1 thing a month. Narcissism is good and bad. It's good because it could give them self confidence. It's bad because it can do the complete opposite.posting on social networks can be a good and a bad thing you just have to be careful about what you post and who is following you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that people are in love with themselves. I agree with you that to stay off the unhealthy trail yo need to limit social media.

      Delete
    2. I think that people are way to in love with themselves especially on social media too.

      Delete
  8. I recognize myself and my friend in these descriptions because I am too focused on seeing how many likes and comments I get, and also how others think about me. I’m very self conscious and I want other people to like me and if I don’t get that I feel like i’m nothing or that everyone hates me. You can stay on the healthy side of the line by appreciating yourself and thinking positive things about you. You don’t need anybody’s opinion or to see if they like you, love yourself because that’s what you’re gonna have to do to get through life. I took the test and it told me that I don’t need likes or anyone to compliment me, I just need to love myself. For those who aren’t attached to social media, those people still go through the same thing but only in person, and their self confidence comes from their heart or family and friends. Narcissism isn't really a bad thing in my opinion because it's just how someone thinks and we really can't change that someone perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every morning before I leave for school I check in the mirror to see what I look like but I don't believe that looking in the mirror to see what you look like means your in love with yourself. Every time I look in the mirror it's to make sure I look some what decent. I do go on Instagram and post pictures often but I do basically because my friends do to. Most of the time I send my pictures to my friends because I contradict if I should even post them or not. I would have no problem not having social media but when I'm bored I'm glued to it. Some people post pictures everyday of themselves and just want the attention. I didn't grow up on social media, I got my first Instagram in like 7th grade. Kids these days are like 5 and have all kinds of social media so I believe they are going to have a harder time in life. Although I don't really care what people think, Instagram snapchat and twitter can really put some peoples self of steam low. Some people actually take the comments to offense and get upset of what people think of them. I think social media can either be good or bad for oh depending on what type of personalty you have.

    ReplyDelete