Monday, March 14, 2016

Period 2 Blog #17

Your comment post should be at least 370 words this week due Thursday by 11:59 pm (worth 70 points) and you will be responsible for responding (respectfully) to one of your classmates in at least a one paragraph reply entries by Sunday at 11:59 pm (worth 30 points).

Student Question | What’s Your Dream Job?
By MICHAEL GONCHAR  MARCH 10, 2016 5:00 AM March 10, 2016 5:00 am 

What do you want to be when you grow up? Has your dream job changed as you’ve gotten older? Have you already started investing time and effort to try to make it happen?

In “The New Dream Jobs,” Jenna Wortham writes:

When the National Society of High School Scholars asked 18,000 Americans, ages 15 to 29, to rank their ideal future employers, the results were curious. To nobody’s surprise, Google, Apple and Facebook appeared high on the list, but so did the Central Intelligence Agency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National Security Agency. The Build-A-Bear Workshop was No. 50, just a few spots behind Lockheed Martin and JPMorgan Chase. (The New York Times came in at No. 16.)

However scattershot, the survey offers a glimpse into the ambitions of the millennial generation, which already makes up more than a third of the work force. By 2020, it will make up half. Survey after survey shows that millennials want to work for companies that place a premium on employee welfare, offer flexible scheduling and, above all, bestow a sense of purpose. These priorities are well known and frequently mocked, providing grist for the oft-repeated claim that millennials are lazy, entitled job-hoppers.

But it’s important to remember that this generation was shaped by a recession, an unprecedented crush of student debt and a broad decline in the credibility of all kinds of institutions. Stability is an abstract concept to these young workers, so they instead tend to focus on creating a rich, textured life now, rather than planning for a future obscured by uncertainty.

Students: Read the entire article, then answer the questions below:
— What’s your dream job? Why do you want that job? Do you think you’re well suited for it?

— What qualities are most important to you in your future career? Salary? A sense of purpose? Scheduling flexibility? Feeling challenged? Feeling appreciated? The ability to get ahead? Liking what you do or being good at your job? Anything else?

— What investments are you willing to make now to help you get your dream job eventually?


— What companies would you want to work for? Are you surprised by the National Society of High School Scholars survey rankings? Why?

2 comments:

  1. My dream job can be anything right now actually because i'm still am young but if i do want know what my dream job i might as well like to be a cop. I have always liked it since i was a kid. I don't like it when there is crime going on around me. I have always like it but now that i'm getting older i'm getting more into it high school is getting closer and closer to the end so i should be looking through school for my dream job as an police officer. Police officer only try to stop crimes try to follow the law for everyone and make everyone follow them too.
    But that is also that i of course to still go to college well first graduate high school and then go to college and be successful with education and win my self up to my dream job. I need to step up my game in education if i really do want be a police officer because police officer aren't just lazy they are hard workers and i need be a hard worker too in school. My dream job are heros people look up to them at times too. It would be nice if someone did look up to me be someone's hero too.
    Police officers are sworn to protect and serve the communities in which they live and work. They enforce laws, obtain warrants, arrest and interview suspects, write detailed reports and testify in court, among other duties. Police officers may work under intense stress, physically and emotionally. You need to be physically fit and have well-developed communication skills. That is a lot to go through be a police officer it's called hard working for your dreams and be very successful. Once you make it to your dream job you're successful
    I need put all the effort I can. Nothing in life is just given for you unless you put yourself to work and that's what I am going to do. And see where my future takes me it's all on me now I'm getting older and I'm getting more interested on being a police officer and not just only with that, but being successful. And hopefully from 10 years from now I'm a police officer

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a kid my dream job was to be a lawyer because they wore those nice suits and drift cases but now I discover it takes time and years to be a good lawyer and it's not just about the nice suits and the cool drift case it's hard to be a lawyer, but I have figure out that's not what I want to be I want a have a degree in ceramics and I want to be a ceramics teacher when im older. In high school I took a class that change my life and that was applying arts. I love that class it made me express myself in art. This I took the next level and it's helping me to what's it going to come for college when I graduate. Even tho it's mostly dealing with clay I also have to take drawing and painting to help me in the long run. If I chose to be a high school teach I would make aprosamily about $56,635 per year but if I was to teach college courses I would be making $121,986. Even tho I would like to be a teacher it's not as simple I would have to have my bachelor's degree. I would also need to have an art education or a degree in art with a teacher's certification. Also have to be volunteer and get experience with all ceramic things and I would also need to take more classes to teach me about how to use all types of colors, how to be organised and how to be creative. I enjoy playing with clay and making things out of it and that's why I want to be a ceramics teacher because i'm happy and enjoy it. I chose this accomplish my goal I want to be happy with the job i chose and not be miserable or mad at my job.

    ReplyDelete