Friday, January 12, 2018

Period 4/5 Blog #14

Your comment post should be at least 330 words this week due Tuesday by 11:59 pm and you will be responsible for responding (respectfully) to one of your classmates in at least a one paragraph reply entries by Thursday at 11:59 pm.
A Harvard professor says he can cure aging, but is that a good idea?
By Joel Achenbach
At the gene-editing summit, you can’t miss George Church. He’s the big guy with the bushy beard and wavy hair, someone who looks like he stepped out of an 18th century painting of “natural philosophers.” Church, who is 61, is among several hundred scientists, policymakers and thinkers on hand to discuss the powerful technology known as CRISPR, a new method for editing genes. The technique was invented in the past four years, and Church is among those who can claim at least partial credit for the innovation.
I mentioned to Church that this is the kind of work for which Nobel Prizes are awarded. He quickly responded that there are more important things in the balance than prizes. There are cures for human diseases, he said.
Church thinks that one of the ailments he can cure is aging. When I met him early this year, in his laboratory at Harvard Medical School, where he is professor of genetics, he expressed confidence that in just five or six years he will be able to reverse the aging process in human beings.
“A scenario is, everyone takes gene therapy — not just curing rare diseases like cystic fibrosis, but diseases that everyone has, like aging,” he said.
He noted that mice die after 2.5 years but bowhead whales can live to be 180 or 200.
“One of our biggest economic disasters right now is our aging population. If we eliminate retirement, then it buys us a couple of decades to straighten out the economies of the world,” he said.
“If all those gray hairs could go back to work and feel healthy and young,” he said, “then we’ve averted one of the greatest economic disasters in history.”
He went on: “Someone younger at heart should replace you, and that should be you. I’m willing to. I’m willing to become younger. I try to reinvent myself every few years anyway.”
So on Tuesday, I asked him if he was still on track to reversing the aging process in the next five years or so. He said yes — and that it’s already happening in mice in the laboratory. The best way to predict the future, he said, is to predict things that have already happened.
For most of us lay people, what’s striking here is not the way that scientists fiddle with the code of life but the mere fact that they do it at all. Awed though we may be by the skills of the experimenters, we naturally question whether this is a good idea.
That’s the whole point of the gene-editing summit: To find a path forward that fosters innovation but avoids crossing into unethical territory. Gene-editing could be a tool for eliminating heritable diseases. But it just as easily could be used for purely cosmetic enhancements, or for something smacking of eugenics. The gravest concern is that CRISPR enables germline edits that get passed on to future generations. You’re permanently changing the human species when you do that.
Intellectual humility requires scientists to go slowly. Editing genes isn’t like renovating your kitchen. As Klaus Rajewsky, of the Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, pointed out Tuesday, “We have become masters in the art of manipulating genes, but our understanding of their function and interaction is far more limited.”
Eric Lander, who heads the Broad Institute in Cambridge and was a leader of the effort to sequence the human genome, addressed both the enormous possibilities of the new technologies and the reasons for being extremely cautious. He said there are 4,000 to 5,000 genetic variants associated with human diseases. But these variants don’t necessarily cause those diseases; they just make them slightly more prevalent. Moreover, genes can have multiple purposes — day jobs and night jobs, as Lander put it. These are complex systems, not modules that you can pop out and replace with a better version with zero unintended consequences.
Lander said he could think of only a handful of human diseases that CRISPR could plausibly address at this time, and even then, he said, we should ask whether such genetic manipulation is a good idea. That’s because Nature has had millions of years to do the same experiment and has not done so.
“If it is such a good idea, I want to scratch my head and say why didn’t evolution try to do that, and increase that in the population?” Lander said.
“We largely exist in a state of limited knowledge,” he said. “Before we make permanent changes to the human gene pool, we should exercise considerable caution.”
Which brings us back to aging. Is it a bug, or a feature?
In reporting this item I came across a story I wrote on biotech and Craig Venter, published on Nov. 29, 1998, in the Post magazine. The most surprising line came from Venter:
“Intelligent application of this technology is one to two centuries away.”
A surprising comment from one of the big boosters of synthetic biology.
Perfection may be a dangerous goal. Nature has feedback systems. There are microbes that adapt to our every move. We think of ourselves as the rulers of the planet; the microbes think of us as a useful host. At some level, we’re still just a bunch of meat.
Perfection may not even be a goal worth pursuing. There is something more interesting about a mortal, imperfect life. Here’s a thought: The revolutionaries of the future will be the people who keep their lives natural. They will choose to grow old. They will allow themselves to experience pain and suffering, so that their joys and triumphs will be all the more intense. They will walk in the woods and sing songs and appreciate the bounty of the planet. Two lovers might put down a blanket and have a picnic. They will fall asleep, because they still get sleepy. They will do this instead of going to the lab to be genetically reengineered.

-Does this author think that reverse aging is a good idea? How do you know?

-Do you believe that reverse aging is a good idea or a dangerous one? Why or why not?


- Would you like to go back to a younger age? If so, why and what age? If not, why not?

21 comments:

  1. Reading this passage was very interesting. It seems like a lot of effort was put into it. I think the author thinks its a good idea. He seems to go along with scientist and his work. I don't know if reverse aging is a good or bad idea. It could benefit older people and make them younger again. But things could go wrong and could harm the person. I think that if i could, I would go back to a younger age, but only if I was old because I already lived most of my life. I'd would go back to the age of 25. That seems like a fun age. So i guess I agree with reverse aging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A harvard professor says he can create a cure for aging but is it a good idea? In my opinion no this is not a good idea because we humans have a day that we have to pass away and if we like get a cure we are sort of cheating life and i don't think it would be such a great thing to wanna live like forever that's why we we are mortal not immortal. Also if we find a cure more people are gonna live so much longer and then the world is going to so much over populated then it already is. Would i like to go to a younger age right now? No because i am still very young and i still haven't even experienced the real world and still haven't lived my life to max. So i would like to keep my life the way it is going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -Does this author think that reverse aging is a good idea? How do you know?
    No he doesn't think it is a good idea, he thinks people should experience growing up and growing old and learning. Getting older and getting to do stuff is better than at an age reversing it all and going backwards.
    -Do you believe that reverse aging is a good idea or a dangerous one? Why or why not?
    I believe it could be good say if your dying and you need stronger muscles or something then yes im for it but if you just want to do it just because then im againts it, i don't think i can be safe.
    - Would you like to go back to a younger age? If so, why and what age? If not, why not?
    Sometimes i would rather be like a baby just to see how it is and whats it's like but other days no i would like to grow up and experience everything you can as you get older.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The author doesn’t think that aging backwards is a good idea. He talks about the imperfect and perfect. He also tells how the body works and what would happen if the human body should age backwards. Lander said that, “He could only think of an handful of human diseases that CRISPR could plausible address at this time, and even then he said, we should ask if such genetic manipulation is a good idea, that’s because nature have had millions of years to do the same experiment and had not do so.” He wants to know why evolution never evolve the population for longer life. I don’t believe in aging backwards is a good idea. Therefore, everyone can only live to see a limit of time, not saying that everyone has a special day they’ll die but one day everyone will have to perish. I think aging backwards doesn’t make any sense because you have to die at a age limit which is chosen for you. I would love to go back to a younger age. I would like to go back to age 13. I would change the way i acted, make better decisions, and think before acting. I’d try to be a person person so that my life today would be shaped in a better way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your response. I also would like to go back to a younger age and fix the way I acted as well.

      Delete
    2. my fiend I agreed with you in turning back on age to fix stuff but everything happens for a reason past is past and you should focus on the beautiful present and future that are waiting for you

      Delete
  5. The author thinks doesn’t think it’s a good idea to do reverse aging because if it was it would’ve happened already. It be a bad idea to do because they have to go through so many obstacles to do that and it’s just an outrageous idea. I think reverse aging is a dangerous idea because nothing is perfect and there will always be problems with something. Doing this would mean building time machines or a bug, or whatever and using a time machine to do reverse aging can kill someone or leave them somewhere they aren’t supposed to be. A bug could cause a virus and can make someone so sick they have to die. I would absolutely be a younger age again even though it will never happen but if I were to reverse my age I would be in my toddler stage or 5 years old because that time was the best time of my life and easier. My mom was alive and I also didn’t have to deal with drama, sadness, and everything I experienced when i started getting older. I could do things I can’t now and just being smaller was better, if I could take it back in a heartbeat I would.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reversing age does sound that bad but I think it could be. Why to go back is better to live the present not saying to forget about the past is to just have those memories about the experience you had before. If u will be able to reverse aging be younger again is better to live and died. Also for your body will be a change and that can be risky. If I get to bo back to a younger had I will go back on my seven to stop something that should happen. I can not do nothing because like I always say everything happens for a reason at that time that situation happen for a reason. Also for that situation many things came new things that I have to fight for. Also a person came who change my life how to think and feel. Things could be hard now but later they will be fine. Maybe to some people going back is fine for them but the true thing is past is past and the present is what matters.

    ReplyDelete

  7. The author doesn’t think aging backwards is a good idea. He talks about how the body works and what could happen to it when you start aging backwards. The author thinks people should experience growing up and growing old and learning. He talks about all the perfect and imperfect things in life.

    I believe that aging backwards is not and it is dangerous at the same time because you get to learn more and understand things a little better faster and you have somewhat stronger muscles. I think aging backwards isn’t a good idea because we all have a specific age that we will die and i rather wait years for that and start as a baby.

    Yes, i would like to go back to a younger age. I would like to go back to the age 12 and fix all the bad decisions i made.. Especially when I turned 15. If i was able to go back to the age 12 I think my life now would be a little better. I’m not complaining im blessed , but I think my life now would be much better if I made better decisions when I was younger I would like to fix all my mistakes… that actually would be pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agreed, because we all have that feeling if we can go back in time and change our mistakes our future will be better because it would shape us to be a better person in life.

      Delete
  8. This author thinks this is a good idea and really wanted to reverse the aging process. We know this because he believes it will help the world with economic situation. Only because so that people won’t have to help or pay fees that help the people that can’t work anymore. Also if they eliminate retirement it will straighten out the economy enough so that we can build a stable one. I think this is a dangerous idea because there would be overpopulated and there wouldn’t be enough people and also there wouldn’t be enough jobs. Also that I believe that there is already enough people in the world and everyone needs their own space and lot of people in the world believe that wherever you are from you should stay in that country. Almostly america but it is everywhere else to. People stay that it will help the economy and make it stale. It won’t since there is going to be more people in one area. I mean that for jobs it not just affecting one large group of people ,now it is effecting everyone that had the formula since it came out which is very dangerous. Now if I was to go back into a younger age I wouldn’t because I really couldn’t do anything and nothing really happened when I was younger. Also if I were go to a younger age I wouldn’t be with the same people I grew up with I would be in the same situation when I first grew up. Also I just think it is weird that going back to a younger age maybe if is to do something that you should have done when you were younger but that's it. I wouldn’t prefer going back to another age with if I am older because I already lived my life I would probably not want to live it over again.I think that reading benjamin button will help me see the reason why I am choosing this decision more clearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you. whe should not mess with our age.

      Delete
  9. The author does not think age reversing is a good idea. I do not believe that age reversing is a good idea because when people are older, stuff happens to their body and would start to die down. I would like to go back to a younger age because I miss the stuff I do as a kid that I would not be able to do at my age. I would like to go back as a five years old kid or below because I did not have much stress. Being five years old is fun because we can do things like play with other kids, sleep, and more. At my present age, I would not be able to do that because I am usually busy at school and I go to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. I believe the author is more against it than for it. I think that age is a great age. 5 was easier.

      Delete
    2. I one hundred percent agree with you Iain. I believe that we have the same ideas when it comes to this stuff and that aging is a part of live and that it shouldn't be messed around with. But I have to disagree with the going back at a younger age. I think it is just a part of life that should not be played around with

      Delete
  10. I do not believe that the author thinks it is a good idea to reverse aging. I think there is an upside and a downside to doing this. The upside being that there are more people in the workforce and the downside being that with more people and them living longer, this creates difficulties in finding jobs and for feeding people. This would also prolong people from receiving help and/or health care they may need. At the current age i am at now, i would not like to become younger. at this age i am able to do most things on my own with little assistance from others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He believes that reverse aging is a good idea. He says this because this will boost the population. According to him we are in a big economic disaster called aging population. If he were to figure out how to do this we would not need retirement any more.
    I believe that reverse aging would be a good idea if it’s done correctly. It should be a way for people who are like dying of cancer to get. They will be able to age back to where the cancer wouldn’t be in the body for to long. There would be a big side effect like not being able to go back to the correct age.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was very interesting to read, i think that the author is very interested on going back to a younger age. he seems to think it is a good idea. as good as going back to a younger age sounds, i don’t think that i would like to do it. i don’t think i would like to because at my age now (16) i get a different type of respect from people, family, etc. at this age than i did verses when i was younger. it wasn’t till about this year my dad started to look at me as a different age and more of a human being than just his little girl. i am older and understand more so it has brought me and my mom to be closer, and has also brought me to realize that things happen for a reason. i find at this age it is just easier, and hopefully from here out it is. but the only scary thing that makes me want to be younger, is knowing what i want to do with my future, and becoming and adult. i don’t think going back in age is a good idea, i think it is skittle dangerous because if you are to stop what you’re doing now and go back to 2007 when you were younger, it screws up your mind set and is going to put your age in a younger body. it could definitely find its way to be something dangerous, messing with mind sets or how something it set to work can be really bad and also back fire. Why should we focus on going back and making our selves younger again when we can find a way to fray progressing and live longer and actually live life the way that it is supposed to be lived and not messed with. there is a disorder called Cerebral palsy that you can be born with, that causes you to grow up but you stay at the mind age of a baby forever. i feel that that has a similarity to going back in time because it will mess with your age and mind set just like Cerebral palsy does to innocent people. my uncle unfortunately was one of the people who had this disorder. seeing him struggle with it was one of the hardest things but he had fought his all through it. so i think that trying to go back into a younger stage is a bad idea, and has its consequences towards it that no one looks for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This passage is about a reverse aging man. The author in this passage believes reverse aging is a good idea. This is because is would help the economic situation in ones life. I for one think reverse aging would not be something I would be interested in because I wouldn’t be too young for my body and then eventually too old for my body. It would be different then regular life style even though if someone else was interested in this I would be supportive. Even though I find it potentially dangerous. If I could go back to a younger age it would definitely be my middle school years so like 13 and 14 just because that’s when I finally started to mature more and play the sports that’s I play today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The author seems uncertain about experimenting with reverse aging. He argues about each side of reverse aging, but more of it seems to be negative. He tells scientists to be cautious when experimenting with reverse aging. The author would like to go back to a younger age but wonders what the consequences might be. I don't agree with the idea of reverse aging. Yes, I would like to stay younger but at what costs. Who knows what would happen with reverse aging. There would definitely be overpopulation. You could never tell how old a person really is. They could be 70 and look like they are 30. Messing with our DNA could create a new type of people. We should not mess with what mother earth created. If I could go back to a younger age it would be when I was in elementary school. Days more easier then with no real worries. All you did was play around. Homework was easier and there was less. It was fun. It's not like I don't like my age now. I can do things now that I couldn't back then.

    ReplyDelete