Monday, December 18, 2017

Period 9/10 Blog #13

Your comment post should be at least 330 words this week due Thursday by 11:59 pm and you will be responsible for responding (respectfully) to one of your classmates in at least a one paragraph reply entries by Sunday at 11:59 pm.

What Were the Best and Worst Things About 2017 for You?


Clockwise from top left: J. Cole; nothing,nowhere.; Taylor Swift; Moses Sumney; Lorde; and Jaimie Branch.CreditNicholas Hunt/Getty Images; Greta Rybus for The New York Times; John Salangsang/Invision, via Associated Press; Elizabeth Weinberg for The New York Times; Nicole Fara Silver for The New York Times; Mark Abramson for The New York Times
Dec. 13, 2017
As December winds down and 2017 retrospectives begin to roll out, we thought we would ask you for your own lists.
What were the top five to 10 best things about this year? What were the top five to 10 worst things about 2017?
You can put anything you like on your lists — movies, music, TV shows or books you liked best; politics, other news stories, viral videos or sporting events that you thought were great or terrible; the aspects of your personal, family or academic life that were most notable for being bad or good; or a mix of all these things.
To help you remember the year, take a look at our Special News Quiz, "2017 in Review," and at a few of the Top 10 lists New York Times critics have posted, then create your own.
In “The Best Albums of 2017,” Times critics give their top picks for 2017. Here, for instance, is the music critic Jon Pareles’s No. 1 choice:
1. ST. VINCENT “Masseduction” (Loma Vista)
The hefty programmed beats, emphatic electronic hooks and gargantuan choruses of current pop are the framework that Annie Clark, a.k.a. St. Vincent, chose for songs about pleasure, fame, lust and drugs — and their extreme, even deathly consequences. The songs ended up cryptic and emphatic, tragicomic and bold: taking things to the limit in taut three-minute packages. [Read the review | Read the Q. and A.]
And here are the top two picks of the Times critic-at-large Wesley Morris, who wrote The Best Performances of 2017:
STEPHANIE J. BLOCK, “FALSETTOS” There are certain musical numbers that, in addition to flooring you, generate a lot of suspense. Ms. Block doing “I’m Breaking Down,” in that revivified “Falsettos” revivalthat I saw on Broadway last winter, is one of those numbers. She stood, aproned, behind a kitchen block, wielding a bowl and a knife, on her way to becoming an anxious cuckoo clock. Her voice went up and down the scale, the bowl went on her head and the carrots went to their grave. Would she survive all the neurosis she put into the song? Yup. She broke down. We cracked up.
VENUS WILLIAMS, THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN In January, when, at 36, the legendary Ms. Williams made it to her first major final in 8 years, she was all body and mouth and ecstasy and style. Her arms went up and down. Her hands clasped her face. One went over her heart. She did a little turn then minced toward the net for a handshake. After that, she launched into the mightiest pirouette I’ve ever seen. She then bent at the knees, threw open her arms, put her forearm to her forehead and sashayed — sashayed — to her chair. Every spring, tennis goes to Paris. But it’s never been to “Paris Is Burning.” Ms. Williams took it there.
Need more inspiration? The New York Times has published its critics’ lists of the best moviestelevision showsalbumssongsclassical music performancesdancetheaterperformancesartcrime novels and books.

Students: Scan the many sources of inspiration we’ve included above, then tell us:
— Make your own 2017 Top 10 List. What would be on it?
— What were the best things about 2017 for you? What type of Top 10 Lists or Best of 2017 Lists would you make? What world, local or national events did you enjoy? What breakthroughs in science or technology excited you?
— What were the worst things about 2017? What happened in the news that would make the list? What annoyed you about pop culture?
— What happened in your own life this year that was wonderful? In what personal ways will you be sad to see 2017 go? What aspects of your personal, family or school life will you be happy to leave behind?
Students 13 and older are invited to comment. All comments are moderated by the Learning Network staff, but please keep in mind that once your comment is accepted, it will be made public.


4 comments:

  1. 1) went to my first eagles game. 2) baby sister was born. 3) started high school. 4) my “brother” has his first sold out concert. 5) my dad's good friend beat cancer. 6) snuck into a waterpark.7) passed out on the beach. 8) watch the superbowl with my boys. 9) got honor roll. 10) hit 3 homeruns in one game.

    The top 5 best things this 2017 was 1) went to my first eagles game. 2) baby sister was born. 3) started high school. 4) my “brother” has his first sold out concert. 5) my dad's good friend beat cancer. I would make a “best things of 2017” list. I enjoyed my first eagles game vs the giants on 12/17/17. Nothing in science made me excited.

    The worst things about 2017 was i came to central and left north. I lost some really close friends, and getting into a big fight with my family. The wild fire was one of the worst things i saw on the news
    The one thing that happen in 2017 was my dads friend beat cancer. It was a beautiful thing. I'm so happy for him. I'm so thankful that nothing bad happen to him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way Niko I was happy to start high school but I was sad that I lost some friends out of it and I'm really happy for you and your family with the new addition you just added to your family (your baby sister). I hoped 2017 treated you well and hope we make more memories in 2018 miss you Niko

      Delete
  2. The 10 best things that happened to me in 2017 was
    1) I met a lot of new people in high school
    2) went on vacation with my friends this summer
    3) went to the biggest water park
    4) snuck out and went to the beach at 3 am and went night swimming
    5) went to haunted parks and stayed out all night
    6) got closer to my bestfriend and started hanging out with Angelique
    7) I moved out of my house and moved into a bigger house on the water
    8) went on this huge sky scraper for the first time with my dad, sister, and friends.
    9) learned how to do a double backflip and a twist backflip
    10) got to clebrate my birthday for the first time with my bestfriend Kelsey
    Now the things that I didn't really like about my 2017 was
    1) lost a really close friend we drifted and just stopped talking.
    2) My uncle died he was a twin and he was so funny
    3) I moved out of my house that I have been leaving in for 15 years because it was too small for us.
    4) my neibor was just put down because he was old and had a lot wrong with him.
    5) I have no classes with my sister or Kelsey
    6) my favorite bunnie passed
    7) didn't get a chance to go to sixflags
    8) couldn't get a job because they said I was too young
    9) didn't go to uo state New York this year
    10) brother only came down once. I didn't see any girl science breakouts this year science isn't really my favorite subject. But also this year the thing that scared me was when people said that we were supposed to have that really bad hurricane and it never happened thank god. In my opinion it's gonna be sad to leave 2017 behind because I have a lot of fun memories of me and my friends just always being goofy and just always having fun and never have any problems. But I'm excited to start a new year and start Fresh and make new memories with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My top 10 list for 2017 is going to be about my life. 1 I turned 14 this year. 2 I have started my first year as high school as a freshman. 3 I met a lot of new people in highschool, I have gotten closer with people and made friends. 4 In the summer I met my dad for a month, we went to a water park and had a lot of fun, and I saw a lot of my family. 5 I played football for the first time ever. 6 I improved my overall physical fitness. 7 I now know that I don't like biology and history. 8 I got closer with my family. 9 I saw the eclipse this year. 10 I got braces, and they hurt so much.
    My top 5 best things about 2017 are becoming a freshman as my first year of highschool. 2 Meeting a lot of new people in highschool and making friends. 3 I visited my dad in the summer for a month. 4 I played football for the first time. 5 I got closer with my family and we are all hanging out more.
    My top 5 worst things about 2017 are being bad at science and history. 2 I don't get to see my dad for most of the year. 3 Not seeing a lot of my friends from 8th grade till now. 4 School is starting to get more and more difficult as the days go by. 5 My dog died while I wasn’t at my home.
    Something that happened to me in my own life that was wonderful was going to tikal and getting on top of a pyramid and seeing the views. In some personal ways I am going to miss 2017 are my dogs that have died or that I have given away. Some things that I will be happy to leave behind in 2017 and not coming with me in 2018 are my grades because I am trying to keep up my grades.

    ReplyDelete