Monday, December 18, 2017

Period 1 Blog #13

Your comment post should be at least 330 words this week due Thursday by 11:59 pm and you will be responsible for responding (respectfully) to one of your classmates in at least a one paragraph reply entries by Sunday at 11:59 pm.

What Were the Best and Worst Things About 2017 for You?


Clockwise from top left: J. Cole; nothing,nowhere.; Taylor Swift; Moses Sumney; Lorde; and Jaimie Branch.CreditNicholas Hunt/Getty Images; Greta Rybus for The New York Times; John Salangsang/Invision, via Associated Press; Elizabeth Weinberg for The New York Times; Nicole Fara Silver for The New York Times; Mark Abramson for The New York Times
Dec. 13, 2017
As December winds down and 2017 retrospectives begin to roll out, we thought we would ask you for your own lists.
What were the top five to 10 best things about this year? What were the top five to 10 worst things about 2017?
You can put anything you like on your lists — movies, music, TV shows or books you liked best; politics, other news stories, viral videos or sporting events that you thought were great or terrible; the aspects of your personal, family or academic life that were most notable for being bad or good; or a mix of all these things.
To help you remember the year, take a look at our Special News Quiz, "2017 in Review," and at a few of the Top 10 lists New York Times critics have posted, then create your own.
In “The Best Albums of 2017,” Times critics give their top picks for 2017. Here, for instance, is the music critic Jon Pareles’s No. 1 choice:
1. ST. VINCENT “Masseduction” (Loma Vista)
The hefty programmed beats, emphatic electronic hooks and gargantuan choruses of current pop are the framework that Annie Clark, a.k.a. St. Vincent, chose for songs about pleasure, fame, lust and drugs — and their extreme, even deathly consequences. The songs ended up cryptic and emphatic, tragicomic and bold: taking things to the limit in taut three-minute packages. [Read the review | Read the Q. and A.]
And here are the top two picks of the Times critic-at-large Wesley Morris, who wrote The Best Performances of 2017:
STEPHANIE J. BLOCK, “FALSETTOS” There are certain musical numbers that, in addition to flooring you, generate a lot of suspense. Ms. Block doing “I’m Breaking Down,” in that revivified “Falsettos” revivalthat I saw on Broadway last winter, is one of those numbers. She stood, aproned, behind a kitchen block, wielding a bowl and a knife, on her way to becoming an anxious cuckoo clock. Her voice went up and down the scale, the bowl went on her head and the carrots went to their grave. Would she survive all the neurosis she put into the song? Yup. She broke down. We cracked up.
VENUS WILLIAMS, THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN In January, when, at 36, the legendary Ms. Williams made it to her first major final in 8 years, she was all body and mouth and ecstasy and style. Her arms went up and down. Her hands clasped her face. One went over her heart. She did a little turn then minced toward the net for a handshake. After that, she launched into the mightiest pirouette I’ve ever seen. She then bent at the knees, threw open her arms, put her forearm to her forehead and sashayed — sashayed — to her chair. Every spring, tennis goes to Paris. But it’s never been to “Paris Is Burning.” Ms. Williams took it there.
Need more inspiration? The New York Times has published its critics’ lists of the best moviestelevision showsalbumssongsclassical music performancesdancetheaterperformancesartcrime novels and books.

Students: Scan the many sources of inspiration we’ve included above, then tell us:
— Make your own 2017 Top 10 List. What would be on it?
— What were the best things about 2017 for you? What type of Top 10 Lists or Best of 2017 Lists would you make? What world, local or national events did you enjoy? What breakthroughs in science or technology excited you?
— What were the worst things about 2017? What happened in the news that would make the list? What annoyed you about pop culture?
— What happened in your own life this year that was wonderful? In what personal ways will you be sad to see 2017 go? What aspects of your personal, family or school life will you be happy to leave behind?
Students 13 and older are invited to comment. All comments are moderated by the Learning Network staff, but please keep in mind that once your comment is accepted, it will be made public.


8 comments:

  1. Top 10 things about 2017. Number one would be my baseball team winning the championship. Number two is the New York Yankees making the playoffs. Number three would be the New York giants making the Playoffs. Number four is seeing a bunch of supercars. Number five is going to a Yankees games. Number six is going to two Giants game. Number seven is getting high honor roll. Number eight is going on vacation. Finally number ten is being with friends and family.
    My top ten is locally. Some of the things that surprised me is the Yankees and Giants making the playoffs because they started off the season horiably. The Giants started off 2-3. And the Yankees started off like 9-13. And they both ended up making the playoffs but the giants lost in the first round of the playoffs. And the Yankees were one game short of the World Series.
    Some of the bad things about 2017. One bad thing is the terror attacks. They were bad because there trying to kill/hurt people for no reason. The people that got killed/hurt did nothing to them. Another bad thing is the Yankees falling one game short of the world series. Finally one more bad thing is the Giants losing to the Packers in the first game of the playoffs. There are alot more bad things that happened in 2017.
    What made 2017 wonderfull and what I will like to leave in 2017. First I will like to leave some of the bad grades in 2017. I would also like to to forget about the Giants and Yankees being knocked out of the playoffs. The Yankees got knocked out by the Astros. And finally that the giants suck this year there 2-12 currently. Those were three of the things I will love to leave in 2017. Those are just three there is a lot more. Some of the wonderful things this year is are all of things I named above. Those are the good and bad things about 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like what Ryan said because there are a few things that I can relate to. He also made some good points.Good job Ryan.

      Delete
  2. Some of my best and worst moments in 2017 were, when I got sick for 2 weeks that was a really bad time for me. I was constantly needing to take medicine and going to the doctors was really annoying. I stayed home for almost a week as I went back to school I had to make up a lot of work which is really annoying but it needed to be done.
    One of my best moments in 2017 was when me and my family found a new home and we are going to be moving in just before christmas and we are going to be decorating a lot this year our new neighborhood is having a contest and we will be participating and going for the top 3 place. Place 1,2,3 get a prize, probably a money reward. Or something to help out the family. We have a bunch of lights that still need to be hung up along with some smaller decorations inside of the house and such. Also some blow up things for outside.
    Another bad thing is the conflict between U.S.A and Korea there are a lot of people scared and angry on both sides of the story. This problem will most likely continue on for a long time unless they all meet and try to do something else about it so it doesn't affect of states, countries, people and more.
    Another good thing that happened in 2017 was when me and my family went on vacation to ohio to a very nice resort for a full week, we all had such a great time there and we met a lot of new people that we hope to continue with for a a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on getting anew home and i really like what you said because i can relate to it in the fact that im getting a new home so that cool. And glad your feeling better pal im happy to see you in the morning.

      Delete
  3. What were the best things to me that happened throughout this year. For the first thing we got a new president, who has done some decent stuff so far. There was no war this year so that's good. Schools going good for me, like grades and not getting in trouble. I moved into my dad's house and now we're moving into a new house. I've made some new friends this year, my boys ethan and zack. We have teamed up with Russia to destroy IsIs. But at the same time bad things have been going bad so far. I mean we didn't have a war or go to war but I mean North Korea and the U.S, but we both came very close to bombing each other.There has been insane amounts of rioting in the streets, which hasn't helped anyone. We have made a lot of people mad this year to. And the giants suck this year so that's not good. My favorite event that happened this year so far is not really any of them. And were getting closer to a cure for HIV and were using stem cells to help with being paralyzed people to help people walk again and it's pretty cool. I also think its cool with all the new things cars can do like parel park for you or even brake for you and you can now see behind you without even looking back due to cameras so that pretty cool, you can also log into your phone now just by putting your face by the screen so that pretty rad. Um one thing that annoyed me is all these people becoming like babies and wanting to fit in, Such as the rapper eminem he started off with singing about him having hardships growing up and family problems suicide. Then he just stops making music, then he comes out of nowhere and sings about how bad donald trump and don't get me wrong i don't always agree with Donald trump but he is just trying to get people to like him, this is also my opinion. I also would die without all these people who think they are rappers and their music is crap but people just can't get enough of it it's really stupid. I moved into my dad's and i stopped talking to my aunt so i'm actually happy about it. Um i could care less about the year ending in my eyes it's just a day that i don't have school so whatever. I also made some new friends that i'm pretty happy about and one of them is a rapper,(it's a joke) I have made some friends through Rotc, and this one kid conner who like hated me \, were friends now so that's cool but other than that it's been a pretty fun year i managed to make it to high school so that's something. But ya soon we're gonna be saying goodbye to the ear it's always good to start fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow good job James you wrote a lot lol but you made some valid points and answered the questions

      Delete
  4. 2017 was a crazy year for me. There have definitely been some ups and downs but at the end on the year I'm happy on where I am. I have so many good and bad memories from this year it's crazy. But let's start with the good ones. Good memories is that I because very close with my three best friends. I have no clue what I would do without them. A bad memorie is when I found out my old bestfriend had been talking about me behind my bad for a while so I dropped her. That was kinda funny tho. But 2017 came out with such good stuff this year.. especially the music. You have new songs from Rihanna niki Minaj and all kinda of rappers. Make if a top ten list is hard to do because I love so many different songs. There's good country songs too that I love. So making a top ten list of 2017 will be impossible for me cause the most important thing that got me threw 2017 it the music. The music I pick shows my mood and gets me through whatever I need to get through. And I realized in 2017 that I am a very strong person mentally. You wouldn't even know. And that's a good thing because I think 2017 is where I found who I am because I know what I want to do when I grow up and I know who I am at the moment. So this was a great year for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best things of 2017 for me was when my favorite kpop boy band performed in the American Music Awards for the first time and they are the first kpop group to perform there.The worst things about 2017 for me was when there was a shooting in Las Vegas and some people was killed and the other wort thing in 2017 for me was when hurricane Maria destroyed a lot of thing in Puerto Rico. Something that happened in my own life this year that was wonderful was when I went to visit my mom at New York after a very long time.

    ReplyDelete